Welcome to an in-depth exploration of the International Solar Alliance (ISA). It is a great initiative that is leading the way towards a sustainable & renewable energy of the future. The Alliance is also called the International Agency for Solar Policy & Application (IASPA).
What Is International Solar Alliance (ISA)?
The International Solar Alliance is shortly known as ISA. It is a strategic alliance of countries located between the Tropic of Cancer & the Tropic of Capricorn. The ISA was launched at the United Nations Climate Change conference at Paris in November 2015 by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at India Africa Summit.
This initiative was first proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra in a speech at Wembley Stadium. In this speech he referred to sunshine or Tropical countries as “Suryaputra”.
International Solar Alliance Headquarter (HQ)
The International Solar Alliance Headquarter is located in Gurugram, Haryana, India. In January 2016 Indian prime minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande jointly inaugurated the foundation stone of ISA HQ at the National Institute Of Solar Energy (NISE). The Indian Govt. provides 5 acres of land for future headquarters in the NISE campus at Gwal Pahari, Gurugram, India.
What Are The Founding Principles Of ISA
The International Solar Alliance upholds severals funding principles that guide it’s endeavours; they are;
ISA aims to foster capacity building and knowledge sharing among its all member countries to enable the efficient adoption and integration of Solar Energy Solutions.
Solar Resources Abundance:
Recognising the abundant solar potentials across solar reach countries. The ISA also focuses on leveraging these resources for sustainable development.
What Are The Objectives Of The International Solar Alliance?
- The primary objective of the alliance is to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy to reduce the dependence on fossil fuels.
- The ISA has defined a set of ambitious objectives to fulfil its mission towards Sustainable Development & Renewable Energy.
- It promotes solar applications in different sectors such as agriculture, water management and rural electrification.
- Facilitate solar financing by encouraging investment in solar projects.
- ISA aims to facilitate affordable finance for solar energy deployment.
- It encourages research & development activities to drive technological advancements, innovation and cost reductions in solar energy.
- ISA also aims to develop common standards for solar technologies, products and systems.
- ISA also mobilises resources for both private and public sector resources funding, technology and expertise to boost solar energy adoption.
- ISA focuses on enhancing capacity building and skill development initiatives to manage member countries with the necessary knowledge, information and expertise for solar energy implementation.
What Are The Achievements Of International Solar Alliance?
The International Solar Alliance has made some significant strides in promoting solar energy at a global scale. Here some important achievements are pointed below:
- ISA has successfully aggregated demand for solar projects, facilitating economies of scale and making solar energy more affordable and accessible.
- ISA has introduced innovative financial instruments & risk mitigation mechanisms to address risks with solar energy investments and make them more attractive to investors.
- The ISA has conducted numerous capacity building, workshops and training programs to enhance the skills in the solar energy sector.
- The alliance has created various partnerships with international organisations to accelerate the global transition of solar energy.
- ISA promotes technology transfer & knowledge sharing among its member countries to facilitate the adoption of advanced solar technology in future.
Solar energy or energy produced from the sun is going to be a major energy source in future. The tropical countries are at an advantage to tap energy from the immeasurable sunshine available in their territories.
The International Solar Alliance is a great initiative which revolutionises the global energy landscape through the promotion of solar power. It focuses on collaboration, innovation, capacity building & skill development to manage member countries with expertise, knowledge and information.
The ISA is seen as an alliance by the developing countries to form a united front and to undertake research and development for making solar power equipment within developing countries. The present day world is upset with the energy crisis and an initiative like ISA is a wise step in the right direction.